pavanhr1
Dear Indrani
I think u have done better job in this regard. There is no wrong in providing a job to a person who is in need of rather than the guy who is a job hopper.
Since we are humans & bounded by the fact often emotional plays a vital role in our daily life which we can't avoid it. But what we can do is to control our emotions at that particular point of time where in we have to stand of as organisational employee & take the decision in a best possible manner which benefits the organisation in longer run..
regards
PAvan

unusual_indu

Hi Ankita
Thank you for your comments.You have rightly pointed out "numbers" is the keyword to success in the call centere Industry and that way the guy has proved his worth
Keep posting
Thanks and Regards
Indranio Chakraborty

From India, Pune
unusual_indu

Hi Vish

Thank you for your comments.I must say one thing that as an HR professional I am not comfortable to recruit a job hopper in an industry where the attrition rate is the maximum just beacause his communication skills are good. As I have mentioned before in this post that good comunication skill is the base on which we have to train that person and that we can also do with the guy with average skills but at least we were sure that given a chance this guy will be loyal to the company(gut feel of management and me too).

I beleive Human Resource Managment is not about 2+2=4 always or in other words there was no surity that if I would have taken in that job hopper he would have out performed.It was doubtful even whether he would have joined ,I even rolled out the offer but he reluctantly said "yes" .It would have been worst if he would have taken the training nad then left the organisation ,in that case I would have got a firing from the management because they always emphasise on recruiting resources who would atleast stick aropund for a year with the organisation as we spend 1.5 months on their training .I never let my emotions win over me when I thought of these possibilities but yes emotion was a part of this decision as I am an HR professional and not a robot .

I respect your viewpoints too so keep posting

Thanks and Regards

Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
srionline4all
Dear Indu,

Remember the basics of HR- Recruitment; you cannot get carried away with your emotions. You have mentioned two candidates; letˇ¦s read each person one after other.

1st one Average communication skills, good academic record, zeal to work, poor economical background ect. I believe that you might have few more questions to him to know following details.

Know more about his attitude (if he can work in team, hard working ect)

His ability to learn (is he a quick learner)

What are his expectations from org and his goal?

Why does he want to join this organization?

Let me assume he is good in every aspect and you have to decide whether to recruit this person based on the communication skills, at this point also donˇ¦t be emotional, Just think based on statistics you have. My company gives 30/45 days of training. Is this time enough for him to get up to the mark? Yes/No

But hold on, I am not done yet, you should remember one point: a needy person has more needs to be fulfilledˇK So my question is will he stick to the company for long? well you need to decide this based on other answers like his goal, attitude and all.

2nd Person :oops: He holds an offer letter already, so he has every right to demand the payˇK in this case I would try and seeˇK

Why is he looking for a change? (Most important question)

What is his track record? (You have to look how may companies he has changes and also go for ref check)

What can he bring to the organization?

And I grill the person like anything asking him all sort of questions. now what you have to decide is if he will stick to the company, for this also we can look for his previous track record to know if he is a job hopper, try and know more about the working culture of his previous company ect.

But you saidˇKthis person was reluctant to answer, then I would say he has poor attitude and I shall not recruit him

And if everything goes fine and I find good ROI on this candidate I shall recruit him

There is nothing wrong in paying more to a good and deserving candidate

Lastly, there is nothing called justice/injustice in Recruitment, its all about ROI (return on investment)

Cheers and have fun :lol:

From India, Hyderabad
sunny_urs
Hi Indrani,
Ur decision was all an emotional one (if v see it in very broader sense ) but if v try to get deeper into ur thoughts that were going on in ur mind were well justified in organizations favour .
You took the right decision. Hiring someone with desire to learn(may what ever be the reason) and someone who is needy is always better then hiring someone who is excellent at communication skills and also has a job for his back-up.
When talking abt a BPO, where attrition problem is very high , there u can trust the needy person to be more trust-worthy towards the organization. U can always expect him to stay for a longer time then u can expect the second guy. So that's good.
It might have taken long time for the trainer to make him well verse with his work . But that spent is worth.
Chal. Hopefully i'm right at my understanding.
Sunny
ph 9960234355
e-mail :

From India, Delhi
Yandamuri Ramesh

Dear Indu
I my self feel what you have done is correct
with my experices of recruitment for a stock broking firm
At skeletal view of the case
the one with good communiccation skills as you said
already has job offer in hand and opted for better package
means he is already on some some platform
trying for good opportunities as per his side and think he is correct
every one has his right for better thought of perks
but as for our ( HR) inner think he may not stay for long, sooner or later
may opt for another offer where he gets good pay
therefore what you have done is corr by giving job to one who has less
skills
definitely he strive for the reach and may stay at least two years
till he feel stomach tight
isnt it
hope you agree with me
regards
yandamuri

From India, Visakhapatnam
vamsikirans

Hello everybody,
Sorry for responding a little late, but I was tied up in other things for the past few weeks.
I read the entire exchange of messages with interest.
Most of us seem to agree that what was done was the right thing. The question raised by a few appears to be whether the 'right thing' was done for a 'wrong reason'.
And that's where I differ. And I seem to come up with 2 reasons why.
Firstly, the 'Human' aspect of HR, particularly in an organizational setting, is the primary and sole responsibility of HR pros. So, taking the 'humane' perspective, I say that the decision taken was justified.
Secondly, it is an established fact that 'hunger' is an excellent motivator. I have seen similar incidents where the more 'needy' person, on recruitment, turns out to be excellent in delivering.
Just my thoughts....
regards
VAMSI

unusual_indu

Hi Vamsi
Thank you for your comments."Better late than never" :) .You have a refreshing approach towards solving this dilemma, I must say.I wish I could get such wonderful opinions before I actually took this decision.
Keep posting
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
taahini
Hi Indu,
Reading this whole debate i felt it was right on your part to identify the good candidate n also the one who can b an asset for the Co. candidates who only are after money will join n leave the organisation as they get another one. It's not the matter of helping the needy but also acting prudent in such a situation keeping the Company's growth & Requirment.

From India, Delhi
patnaik.swarnalata

yes, not to the candidate bt to ur company to some extent......... being a HR u should be unbiased abt the background of candidate and give the best to ur company,
From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.