No Tags Found!

KnowSeeker
Hello, I left a company in 2021 in India to pursue my master's overseas. I was on a middle management level, and hence, they wanted me to serve a 3-month notice period, which I only did for 1 month and used all my leave balance (PL). As a result, I received a certain high amount for recovery pending completion of F&F and obtaining a relieving letter from this company.

I am currently working overseas and do not need a relieving letter, but today, I received an email from HR of my previous company asking me to pay my dues to obtain one.
My question is if there are any legal implications for this and whether it affects my future employability in India if I don't pay, as I don't need a reliving letter to continue my current job.

From United Kingdom, Leeds
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

How long you were associated with that Indian Company ?

Relieving letter of ex-employer may not be needed for you for the current job. But we can't predict future. At times it might be required in your current Country itself for any visa related process or as proof of past employment. So I would suggest you to try and get the relieving letter from the past employer.

From India, Madras
KnowSeeker
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I worked for 3 years with my past company in India. While I did not leave the company on bad terms or any fraudulent/disciplinary activity, but there was the contention point of waiving of my notice period, which they did for my other colleague who left in just 1 year but for mine, my manager was reluctant on his side himself.

The sum of money is not that big but not that small either, and I am on a crunch at the moment in financial terms. I would also think it won't pose the problem for me here in UK as I am already in a corporate job and this employer would give me my reliving letter, should I leave to next job. My visa and other such concerns here are already sorted.

My only concern would be if my past company can pose a legal challenge to me based on F&F, if I am not keen to pay and get my letter?

From United Kingdom, Leeds
Tapan Kumar Panigrahy
Hi
By not serving the full 3-month notice period, you may have breached your employment contract. So the company can legally claim recovery of dues, including notice period pay and any other pending amounts by you. Acknowledge HR's email and express your willingness to resolve the issue. Try negotiating with the HR department to settle the amount or come to a mutually agreeable solution.

Regards
Tapan Kumar

From India, Cuttack
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

Understood.

You are assessing the issue with the current situation. We don't know tomorrow there might arise a situation wherein you will be expected to substantiate the past experience with proper proof. Hope you are projecting those 3 years experience in your Resume as well ?

From India, Madras
PRABHAT RANJAN MOHANTY

It is well understood from your posting that the reliving letter was not your requirement at that time. How could that is vital now?
Therefore u need to ignore the mail without sending reply.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.