No Tags Found!

Anonymous
Presently, I am working at the Kolkata location. In April 2024, we discussed transferring to Patna. I clearly told them that I did not have any issue with the transfer but needed a hike (I told them the exact amount). They said that time was OK. But now they hiked a very small amount and asked me to transfer or resign.
From India, Siliguri
Madhu.T.K

Transfer as a tool to terminate or employee resigning is unfair. But if there is no written communication that you should either move to Patna or resign you can not challenge it. Mere transfer is a service condition, and that cannot be challenged also. It is upto you to take a decision, either to move or to leave. If you are not okay with the hike given, you will have to resign. There is no other alternative.
From India, Kannur
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

Please check your contract of employment terms and conditions. There should be a clause safeguarding the rights of the Management stating that " company reserves its right to transfer to its any of other branches " If so, being mutually agreed terms and conditions you are supposed to obey the transfer order. Whether to accept your request for hike in salary or not will be the discretion of the Management and you cannot claim it as a matter of right. You can request for time to report which will be the maximum you can do. Or you may resign and look for other offer.

From India, Madras
Dinesh Divekar

Dear member,

The previous two senior members have clarified the legal position of your case. Rather than the actual need, I feel that your transfer has more to do with the internal dynamics of the company. How are your relations with the higher authorities of your company? Are they satisfied with your performance? Is your transfer a ploy? This is because the transfer to another city displaces a well-established employee. The displacement, in turn, creates unsuitable conditions for the employee and his/her family. When the unsuitable conditions outweigh the benefits of the transfer, the employee resigns.

Otherwise, the decision may be based on plain economics as well. The authorities concerned could be of the view that the cost of living in Patna is lower compared with Kolkata. Therefore, the transfer may not impose an additional financial burden on the employee. Hence the transfer with a marginal salary hike.

The decision whether to accept the transfer or resign from the job is purely yours. Various factors are involved while making a decision: children's education, filial responsibilities, spouse's employment, etc. Above all, consider how far you and your family are rooted in the culture of Kolkata. Since you will be transferred out of state, you will need to adjust to a new place that has a dissimilar culture. Are you and your family, prepared to put up with the dissimilarity?

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.