No Tags Found!

preeti-poonia
Dear HR Community,

Greetings of the Day!

I hope this message finds you well. I recently joined as a Manager of HR and Admin. My previous experience was as an IT Recruiter in an IT company, and this is my first role handling a team in an HR capacity.

While the experience has been both new and rewarding, I am encountering some challenges in managing my team, particularly concerning:

Punctuality during breaks
Check-in and check-out timings
Sincerity towards work
Casual approach towards team members and office environment

I am looking for effective strategies to address these issues and foster a more professional and disciplined work environment. Specifically, I would appreciate guidance on:

Establishing Clear Expectations
Monitoring and Accountability
Motivation and Engagement
Constructive Feedback
Creating a Balance
Any advice, resources, or personal experiences you can share would be immensely helpful in helping me navigate these challenges.

Thank you in advance for your support and guidance.

Warm regards,
Preeti Poonia
HR Manager

From India, Mumbai
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Preeti Poonia,

It is great to know that you have joined as an HR Manager in the IT company. Congratulations!

You are new to both the HR field and the company. You are yet to get accustomed to the company's culture or the internal dynamics. These are the times to find your footing. Therefore, I recommend going a little slow and focusing on the priorities of your superiors. Your post reveals your change orientation, and it is commendable too. Although the points mentioned in your post to bring the change are valid, these demand a change in the organisation's culture. Please note that changing the organisation's culture is beyond the scope of your role. Furthermore, what if these point are not important for your superiors? A mismatch in your and your senior's priorities could pose a problem for you.

You have raised your concerns on the following points:

- Punctuality during breaks
- Check-in and check-out timings
- Sincerity towards work
- Casual approach towards team members and office environment

The first two points are the hallmarks of your industry itself. Please don't get me wrong, but your industry is infamous for impunctuality, tardiness, etc. Even if you dismiss people for these wrong habits, their replacement could be just as bad. So, you will be back to square one.

The last two points should be a cause of concern to their managers. Why the managers are reconciling with the insincerity or casual approach of their subordinates? How come these two negative qualities were not noticed by the top leadership of your company? Why did not they remind the managers to demonstrate managerial competence?

Notwithstanding what I have written above, I do not want you to lose your change orientation. Do the attendance analysis, find out the punctuality records, and sit with your reporting authority to discuss your observations. If the authority concerned is ready to give leeway to the impunctuality, so be it. At the same time, ask him or her about the expectations to increase productivity. Note down the points, make a plan, and get it approved. The HR Manager needs to act after taking the superior into confidence.

Thank you, and I wish you all the best once again.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
DIPTI SRIVASTAVA 83

Managing a team can indeed present various challenges, but with the right strategies and approach, you can address these issues and create a more professional and disciplined work environment. Here's some suggestions for your concerns:

1. Establishing Clear Expectations
•Communicate Clearly: Ensure that your team understands the expectations regarding punctuality, work ethic, and behavior in the office environment. Hold a team meeting or one-on-one discussions to outline these expectations explicitly.
•Document Policies: Write down your expectations regarding breaks, check-in/check-out times, and conduct in the workplace in a handbook or policy document. This provides a reference point for everyone and leaves no room for ambiguity.

2. Monitoring and Accountability
•Implement Tracking Systems: Use software or tools to monitor attendance and work hours. This could include time-tracking software or even just a shared calendar where employees mark their breaks and absences.
•Regular Check-Ins: Schedule regular check-ins to review progress and address any concerns. This allows you to stay informed about your team's activities and offer support where needed.

3. Motivation and Engagement
•Recognize and Reward: Acknowledge and reward punctuality, dedication, and exceptional work ethic. This could be through verbal praise, public recognition, or tangible rewards like bonuses or extra time off.
•Foster a Positive Culture: Create a workplace culture that values professionalism and mutual respect. Encourage open communication, collaboration, and support among team members.

4. Constructive Feedback
•Timely Feedback: Provide feedback promptly and constructively when you notice behaviors or actions that deviate from expectations. Be specific about what needs improvement and offer guidance on how to achieve it.
•Encourage Two-Way Feedback: Create an environment where employees feel comfortable providing feedback to you as well. This can help identify issues early and foster a culture of continuous improvement.

5. Creating a Balance
•Encourage Work-Life Balance: Emphasize the importance of maintaining a healthy balance between work and personal life. Encourage employees to take breaks and vacations to avoid burnout.
•Lead by Example: Model the behavior you want to see in your team. Demonstrate professionalism, punctuality, and a strong work ethic in your own actions.

Additional Resources:

•Books: "The One Minute Manager" by Kenneth Blanchard and Spencer Johnson, "Crucial Conversations" by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, and Al Switzler.
•Online Courses: Platforms like Coursera, LinkedIn Learning, or Udemy offer courses on leadership, team management, and communication skills.
•Professional Development Workshops: Look for workshops or seminars in your area focused on leadership and management skills.

preeti-poonia
Hi HR,

Thank you for your guidance and insights on how things work in companies.

I am facing a challenge where some employees are inconsistent in their performance. They are highly productive on some days but lack focus and engagement on others. I would appreciate your advice on strategies to help them maintain consistent performance. My goal is to ensure they stay aligned with their responsibilities, fostering continuous productivity and growth both for themselves and the company.

Additionally, I need to convey to them that prolonged periods of inactivity or lack of engagement could have negative consequences.

Your expertise and suggestions on how to address this issue effectively would be greatly valued.

Warm regards,
Preeti Poonia

From India, Mumbai
rammi24

Dear Preeti,
Congratulation on taking charge in new role as HR Manager, the challenges expressed by you is common for any new entrants to handle a team and its member, I suggest to below few points as below which may work out for you.

1. Please prepare a checklist from existing SOPS where you are facing challenges, if no SOPS make note and take advise from Senior Management or your reporting Manager how to proceed further.
2. Understand each team member Merits and Demerits
4. From the day one of joining in Organization till three to four weeks do not demand work or act authoritatively just observe the process and procedures.
5. From your observations in all process, procedures, policies, working environment, prepare your way forward, discuss with your reporting Manager and proceed accordingly.
6. There would be a resistant from employees working from long term who do not support but your way of working, subject knowledge, will impact many people in your organization, if your are stubborn to get the work done.
For further clarification if you require, please you may connect on 9959829422

From India, Telangana
ashok pal

Sir/Madam,
In my opinion keep a record with yourself who come late or who come at right time. It should be confidential. Tell your team that while leaving the office no work should be pending with yourself. if someone pend some work while leaving office, give him notice/memo regarding this. other members have written so much things.
In my opinion best thing written by Rimmi24
" 4. From the day one of joining in Organization till three to four weeks do not demand work or act authoritatively just observe the process and procedures.
6. There would be a resistant from employees working from long term who do not support but your way of working, subject knowledge, will impact many people in your organization, if your are stubborn to get the work done."
Thank you!

From India, Indore
Agarwal BD

Dear Preeti,
The employees who are inconsistent in their performance are reporting to you or some line manager? If they are not reporting directly to you, you should make development and punitive action plan in discussion with the reporting managers of such employees and the feedback should also be given jointly by the reporting manager and HR.

From India, Kolkata
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.