No Tags Found!

Roshni_WYH

Hi, I have a few queries regarding experience letter issuance. Is there a timeline within which an ex-employee's experience letter needs to be shared?

There have been a few instances where an ex-employee reached out mentioning that they have lost their experience letter and ask me for another copy. Is it ok to share even after a couple of years?

Although I understand companies will have policies governing such cases, however, I wanted to understand the general practice among the HR community.

Thank you for your response.

From India, Mumbai
sonia-kothari1
Hi Roshini,

While giving experience letter, you can generate two copies of experience letter. One will be handed over to respective employee and on second copy you can take employee signature with date as a token of receipt and file in a employee file.

In this way, you will be having proof that you already provided experience letter and it is employee responsibility to ensure their documents safe. But then if someone comes to you, then tell them to mark you an email and stating that they lost their experience letter and you can share with them once only and mentioned that going forward HR department will not be responsible and will not share again. In that way, you cooperate as an HR and instruct them also.

Rest other HR friends can advice what can be better more.

With Best Regards,
Sonia bahuguna

From India, New Delhi
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

There is nothing wrong in providing the copy of experience / relieving certificate based on the request of the employee.

In general the Employer is supposed to maintain the personal file of the employee for a minimum period of 3 to 5 years though there is no thumb rule. Subject to availability of the personal file, copy of experience certificate can be issued. Suppose if the ex-employee request for copy of experience after very long years from the date of relieving and if the personal file is not available, then after verifying payroll records a certify letter can be issued if the nature of request is genuine and reasonable. It all depends on the discretion of the Employer.

From India, Madras
kannanmv

As suggested by Sonia, I would also recommend that you can re - issue service certificate once, upon receiving a request from the concerned employee.

I have come across instances that some employees misuse the service certificate by tampering the period of service, in case there is a break in service after they leave the company.

So my advise would be, in case you have the slightest doubt on a service certificate, please call up the concerned HR department to ascertain the facts relating to past service.

Regards

MVK

From India, Madras
loginmiraclelogistics

Presumably, they used to submit the SC to job provider(s). In some instances there won't be possibilities of retrieving those credentials from them, either failed attempts or leaving the erstwhile employers for some reasons. We have come across instances where while joining the HR collects them and keep in their custody. And there are difficulties faced in getting them back when they leave. In such cases there is no other go but to seek a duplicate copy from the previous employer. If there existed cordial relationship it may be successful in getting a duplicate/ certified copy. But not always so. Ultimately pushed to 'what to do' state. Many employers follow the practice of printing SC in 2 part perforated forms. One part original issued to the employees leaving the estt. and other part stitched to the bound book and retained therewith as office copy. In such instances it may be possible to issue a xerox copy duly certified by a present incumbent. On the other hand if it's a typed letter format there won't be any difficulty in reprinting and certifying it as a 'duplicate' to issue. In any case it shouldn't be a fresh relieving/SC as the signatory at that time of issue and present need not be the same person.
From India, Bangalore
Roshni_WYH

Thank you all for your valuable responses. This has been very helpful.
From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.