No Tags Found!

UmaSharma30

We have a small organization with 50 people. We are relatively young team with the HODs of different department are also young individuals in in mid to late 20s. We promote open communication within the organization. Problem we are facing is that knowingly or unknowingly there is personal bias for a few people from the HODs side which is impacting morale of other individuals. It is difficult to point out to these bias, we are able to see them in the behavior. How do we handle the culture and tackle this situation,
From India, Surat
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Uma Sharma,

I appreciate your acknowledgement of the biases demonstrated by managers within your organisation. However, it is important to note that this issue is prevalent in many workplaces. It would have been beneficial if you had specified the specific types of biases observed. One common bias is the superiority complex displayed by native employees towards non-native employees. I would like to know if your organisation is facing challenges due to this specific bias.

The primary cause of unconscious biases in the workplace is the lack of awareness of their negative consequences. Individuals often continue their habitual work practices without considering their appropriateness. Another contributing factor is the organisational culture, as certain biases may be embedded within it. Finally, the top leadership also plays a role in promoting unconscious biases, as they may unintentionally encourage certain behaviours that are then adopted by managers.

As a potential solution, I suggest discussing the importance of bias-free work with your top leadership. Victims of bias often experience demotivation and it leads to decreased productivity. Prolonged victimisation can lead to employee attrition, resulting in increased turnover.

If the top leadership is receptive to this idea, I recommend conducting a survey among non-managers to assess their perceptions of bias. The survey questions should be carefully designed to avoid revealing the purpose of the survey, and the term "bias" should not be explicitly mentioned.

One effective remedial measure is conducting training on "unconscious biases in the workplace." This training should cover various types of unconscious biases, their negative impact on organizational culture and employee morale, and the crucial role of managers and above in fostering a bias-free environment.

Additionally, incorporating this topic into induction training can help mitigate the prevalence of unconscious bias from the outset.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
saswatabanerjee

What kind of bias is this? Can you explain what you have noted? It is difficult to say anything on a vague statement above, other than to say you need to get proper training for your managers / HODs
From India, Mumbai
Anonymous
Dear Uma,
Unfortunately in many Indian organizations bias is main issue. People do bias in the name of performance, superiority, religion, caste etc. and due to this we loose most of the performers from organization day by day. Its time to implement professionalism from MNCs.

saswatabanerjee

@Ankur You think MNCs are without bias? You need a revaluation :)
From India, Mumbai
loginmiraclelogistics

We will be surprised only if there is no such professional 'bias'. There is no exception be it pvt or public sector, Indian or MNC. Why we go thus far to worry about work places. Is it not prevalent within our families? We used to either experience it or hear about amongst our siblings favorite either to father or mother. No surprises could be in work places as we come across a few select personnel said to be very close to bosses at middle & top level causing inconveniences among others who are not in the select group. Many a time it so happens the credit for good performances of colleagues in the other group get attributed to select group despite the fact they are under performers. I had been singled out like this during my 40 yrs career. I could sail through overcoming all odds only by my sheer standout performances in my career so long. But fact remains good performances cannot be overshadowed always. Our days also will come and what we should do in the circumstances is sustain our good work. Sincere and hard work never fail or fade out. It may not be possible to make them to correct their attitude unless & until some dramatic instances surfaces to prove the bias was prevalent. So my suggestion to you victims of bias is, don't get perturbed or dismayed when encountering such situations, be bold enough to take on face to face but never compromise in giving our best for the sake of our employers. Truth only will prevail ultimately. I am the witness to it going by my strides in my long career.
From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.