No Tags Found!

saurav1314

Hi All We have delt with this question quite a few times in our life. What should be the best answer for this question.If it is for more money what shoule be the answer. Regards Saurav
From India, Madras
saurav1314

Dear All Expecting response to understand what should be the best if it is for more money what shoule be the answer.
From India, Madras
SomGollakota

My thoughts:

Leaving a company must NEVER be JUST for more money. For me, it has never been the money. The reason is - it's a rat race and you will ALWAYS lose (at some point), unless you are REALLY smart and make a second career parallel to your primary career. If you are doing it to your primary/only career, initially you would feel great for getting that extra cash in your pocket. But eventually, a prospective employer will ask one of the two questions - and you will not have a convincing answer.

1. You have switched jobs quite frequently. Why (this you may be able to answer)? And how can I be assured that you will not leave me in a few months and go to another better job (this - no matter what you answer, will not be the right answer)?

2. If you have been moving from place to place for better money, what is the guarantee that you will not leave me in next few months when you find a job that will pay you a couple thousand dollars more? - No answer will convince the interviewer sufficiently.

Further, if you make money your motivation, no matter what job you are in, you will never be satisfied. Because you will always find someone at your level making more money than you are in a different company. Money is a great thing to have at a job, but not the only thing. I would not work in a bad environment doing things I don’t enjoy/like doing, even if I am offered a million dollars (err… maybe I will for a million dollars… but… hmm…). Anyways, the point is, money is not the only factor that will get you to stay in a job. So, don’t make it the only factor for leaving one.

Most of my career, I have been a consultant. So, the answer has been easier for me – “I have been a consultant, and kept moving on to different consulting gigs as the ones I have been handling completed.”

However, there were times when I have been a full time employee at certain companies and did leave those companies for better places to work and better things to do etc. All those times, money has never been my motivation. Sometimes, I made twice as much as I made in my job as a full time employee, and at times I made somewhat less (well – maybe not ;-), but the point is, money was never the motivation to leave). It was either bad management policies, bad work ethics, bad boss that I cannot work around (move to a different boss), moving to a different state for family reasons, etc.

Hope this helps drive the point home.

Regards,

-Som G

From United States, Woodinville
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.