No Tags Found!

alok-kumar4535395
Dear Seniors, I need a suggestion regarding an offer letter cancellation due to not joining on the given date. My father passed away on the given joining date, and I had to perform rituals as an elder son ( as you know, in the north, it takes 16-17 days). Actually, I submitted my resignation to my current company, and acceptance and clearance were received from the same.

Kindly suggest and provide a request mail format so that I can cope with the situation.

Regards
Alok

From India, Chennai
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Offer cancelation depends on the employer. Many candidates fails to report on joining date and will share some lame reasons in the last minute. Probably even your case might have been perceived indifferently by your employer and hence they had cancelled the offer letter.

You can write a simple email to your employer attaching the death certificate. Present that you were already got relieved from ex-employer office and due to Father's sudden demise you were not able to join as committed. They may consider your request. Even if they refuse look for other offer. Opportunities are more for talented candidates. This is not the end of your career. Never give up.

From India, Madras
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Alok Kumar,

It is unfortunate that the day you were to join a new company, your father passed away. RIP.

Since you could not join your new company, they have revoked the offer letter. Now you have asked for the draft of the letter to restore the offer letter. A learned member has guided you on how to write the letter. However, when a dispassionate view is taken of your post, or if it is analysed critically, the following questions arise:

a) How did the death of your father take place? What were the signs of illness preceding the death? Was he admitted to the hospital? Was he admitted to the ICU? If he was hospitalised, then did you communicate to your future company that owing to the hospitalisation, there is a chance of missing the joining date?

b) What communication did take before and after the death of your father? How did you communicate?

c) Are you a Hindu? As per the Hindu religion, the "Asthi Visarjan" (immersion of the ashes of the dead) takes place on the second or third day. Thereafter, post-death rituals start again on the ninth or the tenth day.

d) Is the location of your new company and the place of the death of your father the same? If yes, then after immersion of the ashes, for the five or six days in between, there was a chance of joining the future company. Yes, during the "Sutak" (mourning period), one is not supposed to take on a new project or start a new work. However, considering the demanding lifestyle or the work challenges of the 21st century, at least you could have visited your new company and explained your unpleasant situation. Did you do that?

Final comments: - "Niyati" (destiny) keeps on taking various tests of humans in various forms. Probably, this was the test of your equanimity. Whatever the circumstances may be, one needs to be communicative. Many companies empathise when one is mourning. However, in your case, why did the company authorities revoke the offer letter is not understood. What was the cause of their anguish? Despite maintaining the constant flow of communication, if the offer letter is revoked, then it shows the company authorities' inability to share one's grief. If this is the case, then the revocation of the offer letter could be a boon in disguise and there is no need to repent for it. Start searching for a new job vigorously.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.