No Tags Found!

Anonymous
Dear HR Members, Hope you all are doing good. I have one query regarding PF deduction on salary; as per my understanding, PF has been deducted on (Basic + DA = 12%) or In a capping amount of 1800 /-
I Would like to know if PF can be calculated ( Gross salary—HRA = 12% ) and if it can be fixed for all under 1800/—capping. Also, if an employee has a PF deduction on an actual basis (i.e. (12% on basic salary), can it be changed to the 1800 /—capping amount?
kindly guide with your expertise and also share details if anyone has about the same.
I really appreciate any help you can provide.
Regards
Omika

From India, Mumbai
neel.m
1. PF Calculation Basis:
Current Practice: As per the Employees' Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952, the PF contribution is typically calculated on the Basic Salary + Dearness Allowance (DA). The standard rate for contribution is 12% of this combined amount.

Gross Salary - HRA: The PF cannot be calculated on Gross Salary minus House Rent Allowance (HRA). HRA is not included in the PF calculation base. The correct calculation basis for PF contributions is the Basic Salary plus DA.

2. PF Contribution Capping:
Capping Amount: The contribution towards PF is subject to a statutory ceiling. Currently, the PF contribution is capped at a maximum of ₹1,800 per month, which is based on the wage ceiling limit of ₹15,000 per month for the statutory limit. For employees earning above this limit, the contribution is typically fixed at ₹1,800 per month.

Fixed Capping for All: The capping amount applies only to those earning a Basic Salary plus DA up to ₹15,000 per month. For employees whose Basic Salary plus DA exceeds ₹15,000, the PF contribution may be more than ₹1,800 per month.

3. Changing Contribution Basis:
Existing PF Deductions: If PF is currently being deducted on the actual basis (i.e., 12% of Basic Salary plus DA) and the employee’s Basic Salary plus DA is above ₹15,000, the contribution can exceed ₹1,800.

Switch to Capping Amount: For employees already above the ceiling limit and contributing more than ₹1,800, the deduction cannot be changed to the capping amount of ₹1,800. The statutory limit mandates that for higher earnings, contributions can be more, provided the Basic Salary plus DA exceeds the cap.

Summary:
PF is calculated on Basic Salary + DA at the rate of 12%.
The maximum contribution amount of ₹1,800 is applicable only if Basic Salary + DA is up to ₹15,000.
For employees earning more than ₹15,000, the PF contribution can exceed ₹1,800, and it cannot be changed to the capping amount if it is already being deducted on an actual basis.
For precise guidance and any specific scenarios, it is advisable to consult with a professional in payroll or an EPF consultant.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

From India, Shimla
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.