No Tags Found!

aldrinxpanakal
Dear Member,
I manage the HR Dept in a superspecilaty Hospital.
I've been approached by a PharmD. graduate staff that "Dr" to be added along with their name.
Can anyone brief me about the same.
There are various ruling that Dr cannot be prefixed along with names other than MBBS or Ph.Ds.
Would appreciate if anybody can enlighten me on this.
Thank You
Aldrin X.Panakal

From India, Cochin
korgaonkar k a

Dear Aldrin X.Panakal ji,

Your question is debatable across the world.

PharmD is an abbreviated version for Doctor of Pharmacy and therefore, technically, the PharmD graduates have right to call themselves as Doctor, according to me.

Likewise Doctor of Physical Therapy, Doctor of Nursing Practice, etc. technically have right to call themselves as Doctor.

New York Times reported, Driven by the promise of higher-ranking jobs and respect from colleagues and patients, more nurses are going back to school to earn doctorate degrees—and requesting to be addressed as Doctor afterward.

It should be also noted that If your degree does not have Doctor with it, you need a law that has to allows you to use Doctor with your name eg. Bachelor degrees like MBBS, BDS, BSc(Animal Husbandry) etc. And there is a law which allows these Bachelor degree holders to use Doctor with their name.

According to my knowledge a person who practice medicine is called as Doctor.

Some one should take up this issue with medical council or board and ask the question whether PharmD, Doctor of Physical Therapy, Doctor of Nursing Practice, etc. should be allowed to called as Doctor.

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.