raghuvaran chakkaravarthy

Team,
I hope most of them having an experience on the above subject. Let me ask the question.
What is the difference between tie back lanyards and other lanyards?
Why lanyards (Except tie back lanyards) shall not be looped back over an anchor point and then attached back to themselves?
What is mean by shorter or adjustable lanyards for fall restraint?
Please share your expertise with us on this topic.

From United States, Fpo
dipil

Dear Raghu

As I was not having expertise to give you a solution to the query I contacted Mr. Rahul Bhatti, representative of M/s. FALL ARREST SYSTEMS & TECHNOLOGIES PVT. LTD. (A subsidiary of Latchways Fall Arrest Systems S.A.)(www.fallarrest.co.za). Go through below comments from him. Do let me know your comments, whether this is helpful or not?

"Hi Dipil,

Thank you very much for the mail as below.

Our explanation is as below:

A normal lanyard has an anchorage hook with gate strength of 7KN along minor axis. The B/S of Lanyard is 20 KN. If now a lanyard will be used as a tie back lanyard then during static testing the hook will collapse as its B/S is far less as compared to that of rope lanyard.

A tie back lanyard has a hook whose gate strength is 20 KN, same as that of rope lanyard. This lanyard during static testing will pass as the B/S of both lanyard and hook is the same, i.e. 20KN.

Having said that, we shall still say that a tie back lanyard is not an appropriate solution as a rope if tied along a , say steel beam can be subject to abrasion due to sharp edges. There have been cases reported, wherein, the rope was cut while it was rubbed against the I beams. For such situations, it is better to use an anchor strap with a protective sleeve and tie it around an anchorage and then attach your lanyard onto it.

An adjustable restraint lanyard is a lanyard without an energy absorber but fitted with a B-ring or rope grab. Its purpose is to control the length of lanyard in order to protect a person from nearing the edge of structure, which can lead to a fall. You can find plenty of images of this lanyard on google.

Hope the above helps. Let us know if you need more elaboration."

From India
asudhir17

Dear Raghu,
Thanks for starting such a technical thread.
I have never thought from this aspect.
Shall study and get back to you.
Dear Dipil,
Thanks for your sharing.
Similarly thanks for introduciing Mr. Bhati to me.
Thanks & Regards,
Sudhir

From India, Nasik

Dear Dipil,
Thanks for your reply on my query. Mr.Dipil i think their is somethone wrong on Mr.Bati reply regarding gate strength I'll update that tonight.
Dear Sudhir,
Thanks for your input on this thread. Due to some technical issue on this matter couple months ago ANSI Z359 revised the standard due to unforseen reason's will update you all ASAP.

From United States, Fpo

A normal lanyard has an anchorage hook with gate strength of 7KN along minor axis. The B/S of Lanyard is 20 KN. If now a lanyard will be used as a tie back lanyard then during static testing the hook will collapse as its B/S is far less as compared to that of rope lanyard.

As per ANSI Z359 which was more strength in fall protection standard and most of the countries following the same

Gate face strength requirements have changed from

220 lbs. (1kN) (old Standard) to 3,600 lbs. (16kN) (new Standard). Wowww now query was clear now.

A tie back lanyard has a hook whose gate strength is 20 KN, same as that of rope lanyard. This lanyard during static testing will pass as the B/S of both lanyard and hook is the same, i.e. 20KN.

Yes I agree with him but both hooks are same they doing the same test then why its collapse on rope lanyard??? Then How the same hook withstand in tie back lanyard?

But my concern is why we’re not getting a solution on this issue instead of choosing other choice like i.e, using anchor strap etc..,,. What I’m trying to say just we need to know why as a safety guy were able to answer those questions if someone will raise in our workplace instead of saying will get u later.

Having said that, we shall still say that a tie back lanyard is not an appropriate solution as a rope if tied along a , say steel beam can be subject to abrasion due to sharp edges. There have been cases reported, wherein, the rope was cut while it was rubbed against the I beams. For such situations, it is better to use an anchor strap with a protective sleeve and tie it around an anchorage and then attach your lanyard onto it.

Yes we find a same solution in my workplace.

An adjustable restraint lanyard is a lanyard without an energy absorber but fitted with a B-ring or rope grab. Its purpose is to control the length of lanyard in order to protect a person from nearing the edge of structure, which can lead to a fall. You can find plenty of images of this lanyard on google.

Yes I saw those and I need to order some for my project as well. Its specially designed for roof work is it.

Hope the above helps. Let us know if you need more elaboration."

Thanks for assistance on this query Mr.Dipil.

From United States, Fpo
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.