No Tags Found!

Aruna10818
Hello Everyone. I am working in a manufacturing company. One female candidate rejected our company because she said she didn't like the office area. Our office is in a highway-touch building with good amenities. She compared our area with her current manufacturing company's area, as her current office is located in that area.
My boss told me she wasted your time. You should understand it first. Please tell me how to deal with this situation.

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Aruna,

Gone are the days when candidates readily accepted the conditions of employment. Today, candidates are demanding and the work environment matters to them. If a candidate turns down a job offer because she does not like the office area of your company, your company should take it as feedback, as it shows how the expectations of the candidates have risen.

I wish you had probed further and asked the candidate what exactly she did not like. Did she mean the office area within the company premises or the locality in which your company is located? This probing would have helped you assess whether the reason given was authentic or if this was just an alibi to decline the job offer.

How is the quality of the security personnel or front office personnel? Does the lobby give a professional appearance?

Is the office area separated from the operations area? Is one required to wade through the humdrum of the operations to go to the office? Even if one is required to pass through the operations area, how is the quality of the people working in the operations? Do they wear uniforms? While interacting among themselves, do they follow business etiquette or do they demonstrate an uncouth side of their personality? Does the operations area appear organised or things are haphazard there?

There are so many questions associated with your post. As I stated earlier, you had delved deeper into the reasons for turning down the job offer. You can still do so now.

As far as your boss's views on the declining reasons for a job offer are concerned, they are not surprising. Day in and day out, they are habituated to hearing "yes" from everyone. Therefore, if some outsider says "no" to them, and that too a job candidate, it is obvious for them to be dismissive.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
NK SUNDARAM

If she did not join you, it is good for you.. People with negative attitude will not fit in. Best wishes
From India
Dinesh Divekar

Dear NK Sundaram Sir,

To turn down the job offer, the candidates have several options. They can say they have received a still better opportunity. A few smart people simply stop responding. However, the job candidate in this case was honest and direct in declining the job offer. Should we interpret the candidate's directness as a negative attitude?

The originator of the post is from Pune so the candidate should be from there as well. People from Maharashtra in general, and Marathis in particular, are known for not mincing their words.

As a veteran in the field of training, you are well aware that people have different personalities, likes, dislikes, attitudes, etc. Additionally, the acceptance of the job offer depends on the pressing need of the candidate. Therefore, when someone declines to work for a particular company, as stated in my previous post, the company's authorities should take feedback from the candidate and try to understand the reasons for their declining the offer. The straightforward denial provides an opportunity for taking corrective measures for improvement.

In a nutshell, I would like to say that I wish to shift the locus of control from external to internal.

While writing above, I would like to highlight that ours is a professional disagreement and it does not connote disrespect to you in any way. Disagreements can happen within the framework of respect as well.

Regards,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
loginmiraclelogistics

I am not surprised. I don't know what the area of your office looked like. I have no comments on that. But when an unwilling recruit cites such a reason for not joining your firm, it's right for you to go into that sincerely to ascertain what exactly prompted her the refusal to join. Can't say she had other better prospects on hand. Probably, she had given you a lame excuse. I am sure you are perturbed hearing her observation, may be felt insulted even. Why don't you look into your environment, the ambience with a view to see for any room for improvement. Take it positively, a kindle to remove if at all anything which gives an unimpressive look. And don't curse yourself since it's not your fault. Forget and move ahead.
From India, Bangalore
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

It is just a feedback from one candidate which may be or may not be genuine. Hope you didn't receive the same feedback from the majority of the candidates who had attended the interview, right? Instead of doing R&D Just ignore and keep moving. It is not very clear what the candidate meant by "office area" . Is it the office locality or office premises in either case just because one candidate didn't liked you can't shift the office to other area or do new interior decoration at current premises !

Unlike old days options are more for candidates in terms of employment opportunities. Having multiple offers in hand they just prolong till last minute, gauge the offers in hand and choose the best in terms of monetary part, travel time from home etc.

If you offer unrealistic hike the same candidate will accept to work in a small shed also.

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.