No Tags Found!

ys-d
Currently, I am preparing for the CAT at Management College. I have a good family background in the family business of granite mines and factories in Rajasthan. I want to know if it is worth it to go for an MBA or if I should go to the family business. I am also learning about AI and how to use it for business. But what I believe is that knowledge can come from reading books. Still i have a self dought because every one i talking about MBA. I have seen a few people who don't have much knowledge and have done great in business, as well as a few people who have followed the same path and failed. I see not all are made for doing business.
From India, New Delhi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear member,

I appreciate that you are preparing to crack the CAT. All the best to you!

However, you are on the horns of a dilemma while preparing for one of the toughest examinations. In your post, you wrote, "I want to know if it is worth it to go for an MBA or if I should go to the family business." The answer is both. After acquiring a management degree, you can work in an MNC for a few years and then join your family business. Working in an MNC will help you understand the work culture, professionalism, and quality of the staff of the MNCs. Your firsthand experience will help you replicate this experience in the family business.

Your next question is, "But I believe knowledge can come from reading books." Not just management science, but all types of knowledge come from books. Books do not appear on their own or fall from the sky, but these are written after extensive study. Possibly, you have written this out of the thought process that theoretical knowledge is useless in practical life. The Lord Krishna has written in Srimatbhagwadgeeta, "न हि ज्ञानेन सदृशं पवित्रमिह विद्यते। (४:३८)" (English meaning there is nothing as sublime and pure as knowledge and Hindi meaning ज्ञान के समान पवित्र और उदात्त दूसरा कुछ नहीं). But ignoring the advice given by the Lord Krishna, disbelieving, or undermining theories is common in India. These theories are developed after extensive studies. If people use these readily available theories, they don't have to spend time on trial and error.

Ancient Indian texts like Puranas, Hitopadesh, Vidur Neeti, etc., teach us not just to stop at the acquisition of knowledge, but emphasise implementing. However, if people don't implement knowledge, should the knowledge be blamed or the people?

Next, you wrote, "I have seen a few people who don't have much knowledge and have done great in business, as well as a few people who have followed the same path and failed." Those who succeed even without much knowledge, then they might have innate qualities for managing people or resources. Secondly, when we talk about success, we need to check to what extent did they manipulated things to their advantage. In India, success also comes from having the right political connections. But when we look at the MNCs, you will feel this success if superficial.

Today, the Indian market is flooded with goods produced by Chinese, Korean, European, or American companies. Why? It is so because of Indians' lack of faith in management science. If foreign companies flood the Indian market with their goods, then, do the Indian companies flood the markets of these countries? Certainly not! 

As written earlier, cracking the CAT is no easy task. But if you do it, during your management education, you will be in the company of the intellectuals. Each one will be as outstanding as you, and your mental horizons will expand because of their way of thinking, their creative abilities, problem-solving methods, etc. Those two years of your life could transform you, and this very transformation will propel your career or the company to a much greater height. I wish you all the best!

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
JAGADEESHWARA

Hi,
Better you prioritize your ambition. I wish you complete your MBA and work for couple of years as an employee. Surely you will understand their challenges, thereby it helps you how to take care of your employees and business too.

From India, Bengaluru
PRABHAT RANJAN MOHANTY

Dear Friend,
Better devote the time for the family business you are having.
In our time(MBA) we were going through case study of numerous sucess story of business and business man. In 90% case either were literate, semi-literate or an illiterate. Even most business started with mere funds. You can study something which can aspire your business to a great height. You are the best person to decide, what would be best for you.

From India, Mumbai
loginmiraclelogistics

Business knowledge can be mastered by not only observing the nuances but also practically doing the business. MBA is not essential though. But doing business successfully is not going to make you a MBA, it is a study/curriculum only will give this. But an MBA can definitely master a business combining business experience. Your family business is not going to go anywhere and can join this with "lateral entry". Your family business doesn't stipulate a MBA degree I believe. Ask your heart that will tell you what to do. But why this dilemma, I'm sure you know very well MBA can be studied either part time and via distance education, why don't you opt this? Study MBA while you can do business as well. What's wrong, many thousands opting for this now a days. Almost all the universities run MBA distance courses, pick any one for your convenience. All the best.
From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.